The Big Day!

Well Thanksgiving has come and gone, A & S are almost 9 months old now and I am reminiscing about the miraculous day they were born.  They have truly been the greatest blessings in our lives and we could not be more thankful for healthy and happy ((for the most part)) babies.  We are also extremely grateful for our village of close friends and family who have made our journey into parenthood much smoother. 

On to the reminiscing:

After a routine appointment with the specialist on March 7, 2013 we were sent to the hospital for a non-stress test (NST) to evaluate S a bit more since he wasn't breathing as well as he should have been.  Little did we know, we would be admitted and having A & S the next day. This evening and the big day are really just one big blur. There was so much excitement, anxiety, and shock that we were practically in our own little world.

We arrived at the hospital around 6:00pm and they monitored me in triage, then within two hours admitted me.  At this point we still didn't know what the plan was. They decided they would monitor me over night and do another NST in the morning, which would determine the plan.  In the meantime, they went ahead and had me sign my life away and hand over my thumb prints for the birth certificates.  Then hooked me up to every machine possible, got the IV's flowing, and informed me I wouldn't be able to eat or drink anything ((not even ice)) until the doctor decides on a plan.  At this point, we knew that it was very likely we would be having A & S a few weeks sooner than expected. 

Through the night I had contractions every 3 minutes but none notable enough to warrant any pain meds. Apparently the nurse thought so since she asked me several times. I inherited a high pain tolerance from my mom and mimi, which can be a blessing and a curse.  It was a sleepless night, as I had too much on my mind, I was dying of thirst and the bed was the least bit comfortable. 

Morning finally came and S didn't pass the NST yet again and the nurse said they would likely be performing a c-section in a few hours but the doctor would arrive soon to make the final decision. The doctor arrived a couple of hours later and explained she had been advised by the specialist to proceed with the c-section to ensure the health of A & S.  This was it... I only had a few hours of pregnancy left. We were worried they would go straight to the NICU since they were 5 weeks early but the nurses informed us that it would depend on their condition and it would be possible they wouldn't need any NICU time. That was a sense of relief but nevertheless it was still nerve-wracking.

1:00pm rolled around and the anesthesiologist came in and prepped me and by 1:30 they were taking me to the operating room.  What an awkward feeling going into an operating room awake and fully aware...especially when there are so many people waiting for your arrival.  They double staff for twin deliveries so it seemed like 100 people but really it was only about 10. As I waited on Andrew to come in they gave me the spinal, which I had heard many horror stories about, but my experience was absolutely painless.


Silas was born at 2:01pm weighing 5lbs 8ozs 18 1/2 inches long and Andley was born at 2:02pm weighing 5lbs 10ozs 18 1/4 inches long. I didn't see S immediately, as they started cleaning him and quickly delivered A.  When they held her above the sheet my heart melted...what a beautiful beautiful girl. I looked over and could see S' head and it was covered in little ringlets and I fell in love all over again.  Much to my surprise S came out screaming but A did not. As a new mother I was worried when I didn't hear her immediately but Andrew assured me she was breathing and crying. The look on Andrew's face was full of relief, excitement, and a love he had never known.  It was something I will never forget.  The nurse handed A to him and he had a look of shock on his face and asked "Hold her?!?"  and that distinctive look of a new dad who is madly in love with his child overcame him.

They took S to the nursery and unfortunately had to take A to the NICU.  Sometime after taking S to the nursery they rushed him to the NICU because of his breathing.  As much as I didn't want either of them going to the NICU, I was glad they would be together.

Andley Grace

Andley Grace

The next week was emotionally draining...

Posted on November 30, 2013 and filed under Pregnancy, Twins, NICU.