In the effort of trying to eat healthier I've been trying several new clean eating recipes. I was concerned they would lack flavor but thankfully I was completely wrong. This mac and cheese recipe rocks!
- 3 cups whole grain elbow noodles
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion- diced
- 2 jalapeños - deseeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove - minced
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 cups low-fat Colby Jack cheese
- 4 ozs. low-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup whole wheat Panko
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook elbow noodles according to directions.
- While noodles are cooking, heat olive oil over medium heat, add onions and jalapeños and cook for approx. 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in mustard powder, flour and salt and pepper to taste. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add milk and bring to a boil while continually whisking, let boil for 1 minute and turn stovetop off.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of cheese and the cream cheese.
- Add pasta and stir until well coated.
- Pour into casserole dish and top with Panko and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Inspired by Skinnyms.